When it comes to remodeling or building your home, you may be tempted to skip hiring a construction company in Tyler, TX and do the project yourself instead. But is it really smart to act as your own contractor and handle building your new home alone?
A lot of time, energy, planning and money go into construction projects, and it’s imperative that you understand both the rewards and the risks involved with DIY contracting. Ultimately, the decision to DIY or not will depend on how prepared you are to become involved in the contracting process, your skill level and available time.
Important information about DIY contracting
Before we dive into the pros and cons of DIY contracting, there are a few important things to note. First, the most common reason people attempt home remodeling or new build projects on their own is to save money; often, this cost savings is from not paying toward a general contractor’s overhead and profit. However, not all DIY projects go according to plan, which may result in far fewer cost savings than initially expected.
Additionally, acting as your own contractor requires you to be extremely involved in the pre-construction process, which includes cost estimating, permitting, selecting materials, hiring subcontractors and creating schedules. All of this work is extremely time-consuming and requires a lot of planning experience. If you don’t think you’re up for the job, you can possibly hire a construction manager to help you do some of the work or oversee the subcontractors.
Finally, if this is your first construction project, you might want to stick with a few smaller jobs to start, like remodeling a portion of your home or creating a smaller addition, before tackling a large-scale project like building a new home. If you don’t think you have the skills or experience necessary, you should probably work with a construction company in Tyler, TX to complete your project.
Pros of DIY
- Some cost savings: By completing a new home build project on your own, you can save up to 15 to 20 percent if the project goes according to plan.
- Full control: You’ll have full control over the project and its particulars, including schedule, materials and more. Some homeowners love being able to completely control the building process from start to finish.
- Learning experience: Working on a large-scale construction project can be a fantastic learning experience, especially if it’s your first job. You’ll learn a lot about construction and gain valuable skills along the way.
- Satisfaction: Finally, by DIY-ing your home build or remodel, you’ll have extreme pride and satisfaction in knowing you completed the project yourself and made your dream come to life through your own hard work.
Cons of DIY
- Less savings than anticipated: Many DIY-ers find that they spent just as much or even more to complete a large construction project on their own because they ran into problems along the way. Additionally, you’ll likely be paying more for subcontractors and materials than an experienced construction company in Tyler, TX that has bargaining power would.
- High time and energy requirement: Planning for and building your own home is extremely time-consuming, and DIY-ers need to be prepared to put in the effort to get the work completed. Be realistic about your goals and completion date, particularly if you are less experienced.
- Lack of experience: Generally, DIY-ers have far less experience in contracting than professionals do, and this needs to be taken into account. Less experience means you’re more likely to encounter problems. While these can be learning experiences, they also might cost you more and set you back in terms of schedule.
- Lower quality of construction: If you aren’t very experienced, you should expect to end up with a lower quality of construction in the end. This quality might be offset by your cost savings and satisfaction in the project, but it’s still something you should consider.
If you opt to avoid DIY and are looking for a construction company in Tyler, TX to handle your new home build, call Canfield Construction Management! Our experts have over 24 years of experience in the construction, remodeling and renovation processes. We provide home remodeling and renovation services, and also build decks, garages and sunrooms. Call us today for a free estimate!
Categorised in: Construction Company
This post was written by Writer