Do you want to know how we know spring is here? We know by the large numbers of DIY enthusiasts flocking to the local home improvement store! Something about spring makes us want to get out and build, fix, organize or paint something. However, not all home improvement projects should be DIY projects. So before you let the DIY bug get you into a situation you may not be able to handle, here are a few examples of when to hire a general contractor in Tyler, TX vs. doing the job yourself.
Here are three situations in which taking the DIY approach may work in your favor:
- Painting: Painting is one of those things that can completely change a space, but requires minimal skill, cost and effort, which makes it a great DIY project. Whether you are painting a room, painting cabinets or refurbishing a piece of furniture, a little paint can go a long way toward making the old look like new again.
- Fixtures and accessories: Some simple fixture and accessory installations can make good DIY projects. Installing new appliances, lighting fixtures or bathroom fixtures can really upgrade a space and require minimal time and energy.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring was designed with the do-it-yourselfer in mind. While the skill level required here is intermediate, with a little planning and studying, installing laminate flooring can be a fast and easy DIY project that will give your floors a whole new look.
Consider working with a contractor to ensure good results and an efficient process with these tasks:
- Cabinets and countertops: While refinishing your cabinets is something that would make a good DIY project, installing new cabinets and/or countertops requires some professional knowhow. Incorrect measurements and minor mistakes can cost you big bucks, especially when you are working with high-end materials. Plus, it’s important that cabinets and countertops be installed properly and securely for safety reasons.
- Structural changes: Anything that involves taking out a wall or dealing with the foundation of your home should be left to an expert. One wrong move could not only be detrimental to your house, but it could also be dangerous to you. Additionally, most jobs that involve structural changes require a license and/or permit.
- Plumbing and electrical work: If you have skills in this area, some plumbing and electrical work may fall into the DIY category for you. However, if plumbing and electrical work are things you are not already familiar with, don’t think that a YouTube video is enough training to do the job yourself. Best to call in the experts for your own safety as well as to avoid costly mistakes.
While DIY projects can be fun and can often save you money on simple jobs, it’s important to know when to hire a professional general contractor in Tyler, TX to tackle your home improvements and remodeling jobs. At Canfield Construction Management, we have over 24 years of experience in the industry and are ready to help you with all your construction, remodeling and renovation needs. Just call us today to get started on your next home improvement project!
Categorised in: General Contractor
This post was written by Writer